Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Sunday 10 April 2011

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

A much more entertaining read than I was expecting. The novel is split into different chapters - each told by a different character, all of whom were present at a barbeque at which a man slaps another man's a toddler. It is inevitable that some chapters/character's were more enjoyable to read than others and I did find that the connection with the thread of the novel came loose occasionally as a result of all the chopping and changing, particularly towards the end. But the writing is very good and the characters are all consistent if not always true to life (surely there are less drugs at your average suburban barbeque? Or perhaps I am moving in the wrong circles). The only reservation I have about wholeheartedly recommending this is that the whole moral issue of slapping another man's child is a bit overdone. I did not find this irritating but I can see how it could grate, especially if you have very strong views on the subject. In my opinion, an enjoyable novel which tails off slightly at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.