Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Nella Last's War (edited by Richard Broad and Suzie Fleming)

I kept having to remind myself that this diary was REAL LIFE. It is very interesting and humbling to read. There are a lot of domesticity with example menus and household economies - which makes me realise that if there was another war my husband and I would starve almost immediately as my idea of a creative meal is to add a sprinkle of grated cheese to a warmed up can of baked beans. There are some really poignant insights into relationships and every day life which are really powerful to read. As this is a diary, it doesn't read as smoothly as a novel but it is still fairly easy reading and definitely worth it as a fascinating part of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.