Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Saturday 31 December 2011

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

I found this book disappointing and, if I'm honest, pretty boring. It is about Madeleine Hanna, an American graduate who (against the advice of a friend who is secretly in love with her) marries a fellow student who suffers from bipolar. I don't think any of the characters had strong enough voices - particularly the two main characters who were indistinct and difficult to believe in. I found the narrative pompous and patronising and the dialogue stilted and unnatural. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. Although the Amazon reviewers disagree with me, and they are very discerning - one 5 star Amazon reviewer ends his review with "Best of all, it's set in the 80s". I can't disagree with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.