Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Friday 17 February 2012

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey


A fanciful, slightly ridiculous but enjoyable novel about a childless middle aged couple living in Alaska who may or may not conjure up a daughter from snow. Quite.  This book is easy to read and the plot is compelling but, as my first sentence suggests, it does wander into silliness at times.   Overall I think this book just avoids the complete absurdity of other "I-would-never-have-read-this-book-if-I-knew-the-title-was-meant-to-be-taken-literally" novels (e.g. The Time Travellers Wife and The Girl With Glass Feet).  It is saved both by the plot's own uncertainty as to whether the girl is real, and by the quality of the writing, which is very good, particularly the descriptive style.   That said, I would still suggest it is avoided by the more incredulous reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.