Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Friday 2 March 2012

Riddle of The Sands by Erskine Childers

A 1900s novel about two young Englishmen who sail around Germany and uncover a traitor advising Germany on her military tactics. I didn't understand a word of it. But they were beautiful words - my favourites being "nugatory", "adumbrated" and "casuistry".

I have taken from this book a number of interesting observations:
1. Sailors surely have more words for "rope" than Eskimos have for "snow".
2. In the 1900s there was a rather wonderful annual leave policy which enabled one to send a telegram stating:
"I will be taking another week off. If there's anything urgent, contact me at [insert name of a hotel in a different country to the one you are vacationing in] "
3. I will never understand a spy novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.