Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Monday 16 April 2012

Tom-All-Alone's by Lynn Sheperd


I was disappointed by this book which I found rather boring. It is about an ex police detective who sets himself up as a private investigator after being dismissed from his job. As the title suggests, this is a Dickensian novel and unfortunately I found it suffered from an excess of imitation. If I wanted to read a Dickens novel, I would read a Dickens novel, not a novel which tries very hard to be reminiscent of a Dickens novel. The arrogance and stupidity of inviting comparisons with such a popular English writer irritates me. And although the writing isn't bad the plot and characters were too bland for me - particularly the insipid main character. If I were you, I'd read Bleak House and have done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.