Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Sunday 30 September 2012

Umbrella by Will Self

An unusual book, more of a stream of consciousness, about a psychiatrist at a Frien Barnet hospital and one of his longstanding patients.

 This novel has no chapters, no immediately identifiable plot and no clear distinction between one character's narrative and another's. Usually, this would be irritating and pretentious but although this book is often challenging to read, it is surprisingly natural and enjoyable. The writing is excellent and incredibly intelligent but does not appear forced, so it avoids being smug or superior. Often, I admit I felt a little lost in this book - the only time I confidently knew what he was talking about was when he was describing a bus journey and I thought to myself, showing great intellectual insight, "ah, he's on the number 43" - but the writing itself is worth it even if the plot is barely discernible.

 You need to take your time reading this book, and I am sure that the longer you take the more you're rewarded. I will drink my entire nail varnish collection if this doesn't win the booker. I'd conservatively estimate this would amount to about 5 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.